May 13th, 2009

Fantasy Enhances Kodak PGA Sponsorship

Wednesday, May 13th, 2009

On its own, the Kodak Challenge might bring a few golf fans to a brand with which they’re probably already familiar. The company, however, has obviously realized that creating a fantasy game will allow some of those fans to spend much more time with that brand.

The Challenge is a series of 30 holes in various PGA Tour events throughout the season. The golfer who tallies the lowest combined score on his best 18 of those 30 holes wins $1 million at the end of the year.

The concept is interesting, and anything that rewards $1 million is bound to garner some attention. It’s doubtful, however, that pro golfers will be focusing any differently on those holes or that viewers will follow along simply to see how everyone fares on the 13th hole at the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial (the first event in the fantasy game).

Add Kodak Challenge Fantasy Pick ‘Em, though, and you create an audience that is suddenly quite interested in what happens on those specific holes and makes repeated visits to your site to check the standings.

The Pick ‘Em game is free to play and simply requires users to pick a foursome each week for a chance at weekly and full-year prizes. Clearly, it’s not going to draw an enormous following, but people will play. Just look at what fantasy did for the FLW Outdoors fishing tour last year. One trip to the game’s site, and it’s impossible not to end up in the middle of a Kodak ad.

“Golf fans everywhere have been asking for a way to get involved in the Kodak Challenge,” Eastman Kodak chief marketing officer and vice president Jeffrey Hayzlett said in the release. “We’re responding with a game that’s easy to understand and fun to play.”

Obviously, there’s some typical press-release hyperbole at work there, but the key phrase is “get involved.” The fantasy game engages consumers with the Kodak brand, rather than merely telling them about it once a weekend. As we’ve noted here before, that fantasy consumer is one worth chasing.

It would be surprising if more big brands don’t start taking similar initiatives.


Follow on Twitter

Wednesday, May 13th, 2009

Well, we held out as long as we could.

Now that 40 percent of the entire world is on Twitter, though (the other 60 percent tried it and quit), we figured that it’s time we go ahead and join you, Oprah and everyone else in the tweeting frenzy.

We’ll provide links to our stories, provide items, thoughts and ideas that might not necessarily be worth an entire post on and just maybe interact with our audience a bit more.

Because our glorious site name is too long to fit microblogging sensibilities, you can find us at

With any luck, we’ll remain among the 40 percent.